Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

So your new to couponing...

This will be a very important post for those of you who are just starting out in the "coupon world"  I'm sure you have a TON of questions and probably have no idea where to begin finding answers.  That's ok! Because I'm here to help!
So you have always wondered;
why would I bother wasting my time to clip a coupon for a few cents of something I buy, it's not worth my time or embarrassment at the cashier, I don't want to look poor?"
Au contraire my friend!  What a lot of people don't realize, is that you aloud to use more than one coupon per shopping trip(NOT per item) AND you are also aloud to use coupons for items that are on sale. Which can chop your grocery bills in half if you do your homework.  I personally am NOT embarrassed that I use coupons, and I don't care if the people standing inline behind me want to huff when they see me pull them out.  They make several checkout lines for a reason.  Saving myself money is more valuable to me then a strangers time.
I don't know where to find any coupons?
There are alot of different ways to build up a coupon collection in no time!
  • In store tear pads; You often see these hanging on the shelves in the store)
  • Weekly newspapers;  Every couple months there is usually an insert in your local newspaper,it could be Red plum, Brandsaver or Smart source.  These are usually filled with good coupons that come in handy for getting things for dirt cheap or FREE.
  • Emailing companies; Big name companies LOVE consumer feedback, especially when its positive!  If there is a product your family can't live without, take a couple minutes to send them an email and tell them! You would be surprised what some of them will send you in return! This can be done by going to the companies website, and clicking on the "contact us" link somewhere on the main page.
  • Trading online; There are a lot of different online forums in which you can ride "coupon trains".  This is a GREAT way to get a lot of coupons you WANT and will use, and get rid of ones that you WONT use.  One persons trash is another's treasure!
  • Online; There are many different websites that offer coupons, via mail(free of charge) they come within 3-4 business days MAX. Or there are other sites that you can print coupons right at home.  Here is a list of some of my favorite sites for coupons.
www.save.ca(will mail them to your home)
www.websaver.ca (will mail them to your home)
www.gocoupons.ca (will mail them to your home)
www.brandsaver.ca (will mail them to your home)
www.smartcanucks.ca (this one is a forum)
How would I keep so many coupons organized?
There are several different methods;  A lot of newbies start out with a regular envelope, put the coupons they will use in there, and just keep that in their purse.  This is practical if you don't plan on being an "extreme couponer"
Another alternative is an accordion file folder.  These can be purchased at dollarama for like 1.25$ and they work AWESOME!  You can customize the tabs however you like and they hold quite a few coupons(a couple hundred for sure)



And for the more advanced and well organized couponer, there is "The Binder" This is a VERY efficient way for anyone who plans on using coupons on a very regular basis.  It holds a TON of coupons, you can store your scissors, flyers, store policies,calculator pretty much anything you MIGHT possibly need on your shopping trip.  And it makes finding the coupons you need to use SUPER easy, it really sucks fumbling through a file folder in the middle of the store trying to find that 1 coupon in a pile of 200. It sucks, trust me.

What if the cashier won't accept my  coupons? I KNOW I'm using them properly?
THIS is something EVERY couponer will experience at some point in there shopping life.  There are not many people who use coupons,  let alone more than one in a shopping trip.  The discounts you can get using coupons is really jaw dropping and when cashiers see this, they don't think it's aloud.  If a cashier is giving you a really hard time, you can ask to speak to a supervisor.  A lot of the time they are able to resolve the issue, but NOT always.  Some cashiers have a knack for making a customer using coupons feel like scum of the earth (I think there just jealous) but it's really not right, If the cashier is being difficult, supervisor is no help I will cancel my transaction, take my business to another store and send an email to head office.  Of course this would be an extreme measure, but we can't let cashiers get away with treating us like crap.  Is turn, we should be polite and respectful to them aswell, they ARE human beings, have feelings and a lot of the time they are just doing there job.  It's the few bad apples you need to watch out for.
*more Q&A coming soon*

0 comments:

Post a Comment